join their regiment. We camped in a field beside a village, where I managed to get some milk a very scarce commodity, and a veritable luxury. Reveille sounded at 5 a.m., and after our usual breakfast (biscuits and bully beef) we were off again, going back into the cover of a wood, where we realised the benefit of our waterproof sheets, for the rain came down very heavily for some hours. We advanced again towards the river, where we had considerable difficulty in getting our transport across. My platoon was put on baggage guard, and we had to get the carts and waggons guided on to a railway and along the bridge, which the Germans had not been able to destroy. They most have retired very smartly, for I saw nothing of them that day either. Our march was all uphill for some time hard work but I remember looking back into the valley and remarking about the beautiful scenery; it vas a sight worth seeing. We camped in a field again, and were roused up at 2 a.m. After packing our coats away in our packs, we stood shivering for about 2 hours, when we at last marched off.


That day we began to see that the Germans must have been getting it hot. We passed piles of flour bags and shells in their cases, and innumerable tins full of stuff. Horses lay dead everywhere we had to shoot some that had been left helpless and the stench was horrible. The sides of the road were covered with straw. Here and there a jack-boot could be seen protruding, and we drew our own conclusions as to what was below the straw; one body was in a sitting position, the face being uncovered. We reached a village, passing on the way bodies of old, grey-haired men who had been killed by the Germans. After a short halt we went on again along a piece of flat country, and on all sides, advancing along the roads as far as the eye could see, were troops of every description. We had a rest for two hours in a field about midday. We moved off again about 1.30 p.m., and then the rain started, and did not cease till we were all wet through. We marched until just before dusk, when we entered a village where we were billeted 

< Back


Next >