by easy stages through a couple of towns and a village. Then we were warned that the enemy were in a town in front of us, and our brigade would have to drive them out. The people seemed overjoyed when we entered the town, and it was amusing to watch the antics of some old people who endeavoured to show us how the Allemands ran away.  We billeted in a factory that night, and were told about the exhibition of "kultur" given by the Germans during the time they were in the place. The next two or three days were spent in a careful advance, as they had every suitable house loop-holed. One house by the roadside was desperately held, and one officer and five men of the Royal Irish Fusiliers were killed in trying to enter it. It was ultimately blown up with the defenders inside. I have no desire to see a similar sight again.


The enemy meanwhile had strongly entrenched in front of a town, their position being further protected by wire entanglements. We worked our way up under cover of a river bank, and one coy, occupied some houses overlooking their trenches, 

while we occupied a ditch by the roadside about 300 yards in front of the trenches. The next day a coy. worked forward to the assault — the enemy’s trenches were on top of a steep bank – while the coy. in the houses continued firing away to force the Germans to keep their heads down. Led by their officer (who was killed there), our men clambered into the trenches with bayonets fixed, whereupon some of the Germans immediately surrendered and were made prisoners. Others tried run for it, but were soon brought down — not a man escaped. It was all very exciting, but our coy. was in reserve, and we had just to look on. The next objective was some houses and a large brewery well loop-holed. Another officer was mortally wounded advancing on these houses. I have not mentioned the other casualties, as I never heard now many we had. The occupants of the brewery surrendered, and at dusk our coy. advanced and occupied it. Some houses were blown, up by the Royal Engineers.   In the morning we occupied an adjacent factory, and were busy barricading doorways and making loop-holes when some shells came crashing through the roof. The German gun was located near a church tower, and
< Back


Next >